Here's what it takes to pay for a typical news reporter's salary of $40,000 a year plus benefits ($50,000 total, figuring benefits packages including health insurance are 25 percent of salary).
- 417 subscribers each paying $10 a month.*
- 20 full-page newspaper ads @ $2,500.*
- 50 30-second spots on local TV news @ $1,000.*
- 2.5 million views of online ads @ $20 cpm.*
News organizations relying on people to pay for news are going to need bigger boatloads of subscribers.
*Prices vary by market/publication size/other factors but these are typical of small and midsize operations.
For example, a full-page, midweek black-and-white newspaper ad at open rate:
- USA Today: $125,600
- WSJ: $277,200
- Milwaukee J-S: $23,688
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle: $2,587