Math for journalists
Update: It takes 459 subscribers at a typical $10 a month to support one reporter earning national average of $55,000 a year in salary plus benefits. (Nice work if you can get it.)
Here are comparisons of revenue needed to pay for one reporter or photographer at a local print, digital or broadcast news outlet:
- 459 subscribers paying $10 a month
- 19 full-page newspaper ads @ $3,000.
- 55 thirty-second spots on local TV news @ $1,000.
- 36,667 affiliate link commissions of typical 3% on Amazon orders if they average $50.
- 2.8 million views of online ad @ $20 cpm.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates annual reporter salary of $46,270; we estimated benefits at around 20%. Advertising costs vary by market size, but these appear to be typical of newspapers and TV stations in small to medium size markets.